Sunday, April 1, 2012

Linda M. Crate- Three Poems

fretful

mountain faces dance through

shadow, uprising in pale blue white


like clouds drifting through seas


of azure flecked with bodies of birds –


it cannot be discovered or found out


only seen; like I cannot break through


the force field you’ve constructed


around yourself as if you think I mean


to harm you, I wish that you would


let your fears fall away like autumn


leaves; I wish you’d let me in –


it would never be my intention to


hurt you, and yet you hold me at arms


length like everyone else, and cleave


to your apprehension like a lover.




you’ll get yours eventually


your brow is frosted with the

cruelty of winter, I know that


you mean to destroy me with


those frozen green pools you’ve


ripped from the grass and used


as your irises; you’re a borrowed


construct with a wicked purport –


you mean to do nothing less


than destroy everything I’ve ever


meant to build, you make a mockery


of all the pretty things I’ve made;


you turn my sweet truths into nothing


more than a joke and laugh at all


my failures when they take wing, but


one day it will be worth it just to see you


flailing in the waters of self made discontent.




entrapment


I’m locked inside

like these thoughts


swirling inside me,


squirming to be free


of this cage of bones


to run their own race –


trapped in your inescapable


fortress of words, I pull


at the chains of captivity,


I was never meant to be your


prisoner but you took me


anyway because you could –


you broke the branches of


every birch, fir, and maple


thrust their dead bones


down my throat to choke


me in an isthmus of fear and


doubt, you told me that you’d


never hurt me; yet that was


a lie that I’d choke on, one


day I’ll master your lock and


turn it on its head, one day I will


make you come to regret me.

No comments:

Post a Comment