Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Holly Day- A Poem

Block Captain

I got a call from God today.
He told me He was coming soon
and told me how to get things
ready.

The people next door were easy
to catch and convert. I had never
exchanged more than a passing "hello" with any of them
before this afternoon, but they seemed to think me
friendly enough
to accept my invitation to dinner.

I dug the furrows and trenches, overturned a half-acre of Kentucky blue
exactly how the Lord told me, turned my entire back yard
into a beautifully-plowed farm. Into each row
I seeded the families next door, the paperboy
the mailman too polite to turn down an offer of cookies
the old lady across the street. Soon

we will all be together. The pieces of me
fall and mix with the pieces of them. Rivulets of  blood
fill the fresh-tilled earth. The sunset turns it all
red. God
will be most pleased when He
drops by tonight.




Short bio: Holly Day is a housewife and mother of two living in Minneapolis,
Minnesota who teaches needlepoint classes in the Minneapolis school
district. Her poetry has recently appeared in The Worcester Review, Broken
Pencil, and Slipstream, and she is a recent recipient of the Sam Ragan
Poetry Prize from Barton College. Her book publications include Music
Composition for Dummies, Guitar-All-in-One for Dummies, Notenlesen für
Dummies Das Pocketbuch, and Music Theory for Dummies, which has recently
been translated into French, Dutch, Spanish, Russian, Portuguese, and
German. Her novel, "The Trouble With Clare," is due out from Hydra
Publications in 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment