Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Matthew Borczon- Three Poems


Matthew Borczon recieved his bfa from Edinboro university. He is a sailor in the united states Navy Reserve and served in the busiest combat hospital in Afghanistan in 2010-11. His poems have appeared in Busted dharma, dead snakes, hanging loose, big hammer, amoung others. In his civilian life he is a nurse for a social services agency.



Most nights

In my
dreams
I have
a collection
of severed
limbs
some in
every drawer
and closet
and every
time I
open a
door
I burst
into flames
until a
helicopter
takes me
to the
hospital
where I
wake up
back in
uniform
still covered
in sweat
sand
and blood.


Isolation room

It was
so hard
to watch
that baby
slowly
die
I thought
It was
so strange
that no one
from its
village
wanted to
hold it

so it
laid on
the big
bed like
the last
kid picked
on the
school yard

it took
three
days
until
the war
called it
home.


Night terror 4

The war
is my
spirit animal

in nightmares
its always
just me
no matter
how many
wounded
it could
be
a whole
battlefield of
headless
legless
burned bodies

and I
am always
without
a stretcher
without
a doctor
without
a prayer.


No comments:

Post a Comment